(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,131,825 B2
Wos (45) Date of Patent: Nov. 7,2006
(54) SPINDLE-MOTOR DRIVEN PUMP SYSTEM
(75) Inventor: George J Wos, Colton, WA (US)
(73) Assignee: Isothermal Systems Research, Inc.,
Liberty Lake, WA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 524 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/769,037
(22) Filed: Jan. 30, 2004
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2005/0168079 Al Aug. 4, 2005
(51) Int. CI.
F04B 17/00 (2006.01)
F04B 35/04 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 417/423.1; 310/52; 310/67 R
(58) Field of Classification Search 417/423.1;
310/52, 67 R See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
The present invention is a compact pump that is powered by a brushless DC spindle-motor, as used in disk drives and CD-ROM drives. A hard drive type spindle-motor is a brushless DC motor that is highly balanced, very reliable, available at low cost, and is capable of significant rotational speeds. According to the present invention, a spindle-motor is mounted to a pump housing and to an impeller within the housing. The spindle-motor rotates the impeller causing movement of a fluid. Preferably for spray cooling, the pump is a turbine pump.
25 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets