(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2006/0069438 Al
Zucherman et al. (43) Pub. Date: Mar. 30,2006
(54) MULTI-PIECE ARTIFICIAL SPINAL DISK REPLACEMENT DEVICE WITH MULTI-SEGMENTED SUPPORT PLATES
(76) Inventors: James F. Zucherman, San Francisco, CA (US); Ken Y. Hsu, San Francisco, CA (US)
FLIESLER MEYER, LLP
FOUR EMBARCADERO CENTER
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/979,850
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/614,061, filed on Sep. 29, 2004. Provisional application No. 60/614,246, filed on Sep. 29, 2004. Provisional application No. 60/614,181, filed on Sep. 29, 2004.
(51) Int. CI.
A61F 2/44 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 623/17.14; 623/17.15
A posterior approach for intervertebral disk replacement is provided. This technique is particularly suited for assembling a multi-piece artificial spinal disk replacement device in situ in order to alleviate discomfort associated with the spinal column.