(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
March et al.
(54) PROTECTING A NETWORK FROM UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS
(75) Inventors: Sean W. March, Piano, TX (US);
Patrick N. Sollee, Richardson, TX
(US); David W. McKnight, Garland,
TROP PRUNER & HU, PC
1616 S. VOSS ROAD, SUITE 750
HOUSTON, TX 77057-2631 (US)
(73) Assignee: Nortel Networks Limited, St. Laurent (CA)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/592,775
(22) Filed: Nov. 3, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 09/881,604, filed on Jun. 14, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.
H04L 12/26 (2006.01)
H04L 12/56 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 370/229; 370/401
A method and apparatus of protecting a first network from unauthorized access includes storing profile information for each call session, and determining if an unauthorized access of the first network is occurring based on the profile information. The profile information includes a predetermined threshold indicating a maximum acceptable rate of incoming data units from an external network to the first network. If the incoming data unit rate exceeds the predetermined threshold, then a security action is taken, such as generating an alarm or preventing further transport of data units from the external network to the first network.