(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0165084 Al
Yamamoto et al. (43) Pub. Date: Aug. 26,2004
(54) FLICKER DETECTING METHOD AND FLICKER DETECTING APPARATUS
(75) Inventors: Shinji Yamamoto, Osaka (JP);
Toshiyuki Nakashima, Osaka (JP);
Katsumi Tokuyama, Osaka (JP)
McDERMOTT, WILL & EMERY
600 13th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20005-3096 (US)
(73) Assignee: MATSUSHITA ELECTRIC INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/732,860
(22) Filed: Dec. 11, 2003
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Feb. 26, 2003 (JP) P. 2003-049234
A flicker detecting apparatus has integrating means for integrating a pixel level every line in one frame or one field of a video to calculate a line lightness value, extracting means for extracting a fluctuation cycle in a vertical scanning direction of the line lightness value, and deciding means for deciding that a flicker is present when the fluctuation cycle is within a predetermined frequency range. The extracting means calculates a difference made by a fluctuation in the vertical scanning direction of the line lightness value every line, counts the number of continuations of an identical code in the difference, and calculates the count value as fluctuation cycle.