(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,695,808 B2
Tom (45) Date of Patent: Feb. 24,2004
(54) PRESSURE SENSOR FOR THERAPEUTIC DELIVERY DEVICE AND METHOD
(75) Inventor: Curtis P. Tom, Menlo Park, CA (US)
(73) Assignee: SciMed Life Systems, Inc., Maple Grove, MN (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/347,567
(22) Filed: Jan. 17, 2003
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2003/0130615 Al Jul. 10, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 09/816,708, filed on Mar.
23, 2001, now abandoned. (60) Provisional application No. 60/191,610, filed on Mar. 23,
(51) Int. CI.7 A61M 31/00
(52) U.S. CI 604/65; 604/66; 604/67;
(58) Field of Search 604/65, 66, 67;
The present invention is an apparatus for treating a selected patient tissue or organ region, at the surface of such region. The apparatus has an accessing tool for accessing the patient region, the tool having a distal end, and a proximal end at which the tool can be manipulated to place the distal end adjacent to the patient region. The apparatus also has a probe carried on the distal end and defining a contact surface that may be urged against the patient region thereby creating contact pressure. A pressure transducer is operatively coupled to the probe and is capable of producing a measurable response to the contact pressure. A monitoring device is operatively connected to the pressure transducer, for determining the contact pressure. An effector is operatively disposed on the probe for producing a given effect on the patient region when the effector is activated, and an activator operatively connected to the effector, by which the effector can be activated.
16 Claims, 7 Drawing Sheets