(54) METHODS, SYSTEMS, AND COMPUTER PROGRAM PRODUCTS FOR INSTANTIATING A DEVICE DRIVER FOR COMMUNICATION WITH A DEVICE BY DYNAMICALLY ASSOCIATING THE DEVICE DRIVER AT RUN-TIME WITH A DEVICE-SPECIFIC AND/OR SERVICE-SPECIFIC SOFTWARE COMPONENT
(75) Inventors: Modesto Tabares, Miramar, FL (US);
Sameh Yamany, Weston, FL (US)
(73) Assignee: Trendium, Inc., Sunrise, FL (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 1731 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 09/992,155
(22) Filed: Nov. 5, 2001
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2003/0088711 Al May 8, 2003
(51) Int. CI.
G06F 3/00 (2006.01)
G06F 9/44 (2006.01)
G06F 9/46 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 719/321; 719/327; 710/8;
(58) Field of Classification Search 709/224,
709/327; 713/1,324; 348/222; 719/311, 719/321-327; 710/8-10 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
4,649,476 A 3/1987 Advani et al 364/300
5,727,212 A * 3/1998 Dinallo 719/321
5,752,032 A * 5/1998 Keller et al 719/311
5,872,956 A 2/1999 Beal et al 395/500
Embodiments of the present invention provide methods, systems, and computer program products for instantiating a device driver for communication with a device by dynamically associating the device driver at run-time with a devicespecific software component. For example, in some embodiments, a device driver is instantiated by dynamically associating a first software component with the device driver at run-time. The first software component contains information that facilitates communication with devices of a specific type. In other embodiments, a device driver is instantiated by defining a plurality of device parameters and associating one or more of the plurality of device parameters with a service. The device parameters that are associated with the service are then dynamically communicated to the device driver at runtime.
39 Claims, 7 Drawing Sheets