(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0054866 Al
Blumenau et al. (43) Pub. Date: Mar. 18,2004
(54) MAPPING OF HOSTS TO LOGICAL
STORAGE UNITS AND DATA STORAGE
PORTS IN A DATA PROCESSING SYSTEM
(76) Inventors: Steven M. Blumenau, Holliston, MA (US); Yoav Raz, Newton, MA (US)
RICHARD C. AUCHTERLONIE
HOWREY SIMON ARNOLD & WHITE LLP
750 BERING DR.
HOUSTON, TX 77057 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/655,693
(22) Filed: Sep. 5, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/139,490, filed on May 6, 2002, which is a continuation of application No. 09/106,299, filed on Jun. 29, 1998, now Pat. No. 6,421,711.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 12/00; G06F 13/00;
(52) U.S. CI 711/202; 709/217; 711/118
An apparatus has host ports for coupling hosts to data storage devices. The data storage devices are configured into logical storage units, and the apparatus is programmed with a mapping of the hosts to respective logical storage units. The apparatus decodes a host identifier and a logical storage unit specification from each data access request received at each host port, and determines whether or not the decoded host identifier and logical storage unit specification are in conformance with the mapping in order to permit or deny data access of the logical storage unit through the host port. For example, the apparatus includes a switch for routing the data storage access requests from the host ports to ports that provide access to the data storage, and a set of logical volumes of storage are accessible from each of the ports that provide access to the data storage.