(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,401,139 Bi
Hamilton et al. (45) Date of Patent: Jun. 4,2002
(54) SYSTEM FOR ACTIVATING AND
CONFIGURING AN INPUT/OUTPUT BOARD
IN A COMPUTER
(75) Inventors: Bradley W. Hamilton; John W.
Slattery; Kerry J. Monroe, all of Fort
Collins, CO (US)
(73) Assignee: Hewlett-Packard Company, Palo Alto, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/651,917
(22) Filed: Aug. 31, 2000
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 08/554,998, filed on Nov. 13, 1995, now Pat. No. 6,205,497, which is a division of application No. 08/302,142, filed on Sep. 7, 1994, now Pat. No. 5,524,269, which is a continuation of application No. 07/932,919, filed on Aug. 20, 1992, now abandoned, which is a continuation of application No. 07/693,358, filed on Apr. 30, 1991, now abandoned.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 13/10; G06F 9/00
(52) U.S. CI 710/9; 710/8
(58) Field of Search 710/9, 8, 10, 1,
710/3, 62, 36; 700/1, 12; 340/825.52; 709/220,
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
4,660,141 A * 4/1987 Ceccon et al.
Primary Examiner—Gopal C. Ray (57) ABSTRACT
An automatically configurable I/O board and associated software avoids any need for jumpers, switches, or other configuration changes upon installation of the board. Utilization of the main computer capability to select addresses and values likely to be available involves an installation or other routine which arrives at a unique parameter through common commands and repetitive execution. Uniqueness of the parameter or address is accomplished by checking for use elsewhere in the system prior to operation of the board. Steps are taken to avoid any inappropriate changes in conflicting I/O boards by activating and disabling components such as the control register on the board through use of a state machine, by using non-destructive commands for initial checks, by tristating unnecessary lines, and by re-initializing registers whenever a conflict is encountered. Additionally no address space is used to activate the board.
3 Claims, 3 Drawing Sheets