« PreviousContinue »
(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,751,254 Bi
Palm (45) Date of Patent: Jun. 15,2004
(54) ACTIVATION OF MULTIPLE XDSL MODEMS WITH POWER CONTROL MEASUREMENT
(75) Inventor: Stephen Palm, Sunnyvale, CA (US)
(73) Assignee: Panasonic Communications Co., Ltd.,
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/564,704
(22) Filed: May 4, 2000
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/132,702, filed on May 5, 1999, provisional application No. 60/136,333, filed on May 26, 1999, provisional application No. 60/146,140, filed on Jul. 30, 1999, provisional application No. 60/159,588, filed on Oct. 18, 1999, provisional application No. 60/162,150, filed on Oct. 29, 1999, and provisional application No. 60/168,628, filed on Dec. 3, 1999.
(51) Int. C I. H04B 1/38
(52) U.S. C I 375/222
(58) Field of Search 375/222, 223,
375/320, 268, 261, 322; 455/522, 69
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
An apparatus and method for determining transmission parameters while initializing a communication link. An initiating communication device includes a parameter indicating device, a measurement receiving section, a parameter receiving device, a measurement transmission section, and a selecting device. The parameter indicating device transmits first transmission parameters that can be used by a responding communication device. In response to the transmitted first transmission parameters, the measurement receiving section receives first signals issued by the responding communication device. The parameter receiving device receives second transmission parameters that are issued by the responding communication device. The measurement transmission section functions to transmit second signals to the responding communication device, in response to the received second transmission parameters. The selecting device transmits power level parameters that can be used by said responding communication device in response to said received second signals.
ITU-T Recommendation V.8 bis ("Procedures for the Identification and Selection of Common Modes of Operation Between Data Circuit-Terminating Equipments (DCEs) and Between Data Terminal Equipments (DTEs) Over the General Switched Telephone Network and On Leased Pointto-Point Telephone-Type Circuits"), published by the International Telecommunication Union in Aug., 1996. An article by F. Mescam, entitled "Introduction A La Procedure De Transmission HDLC", published at pp. 69-73 of L'Onde Electrique, vol. 53 no. 2 (Feb., 1973),. An articled by H. Ohba et al., entitled "End-to-End Protocol Based On CCITT X.25 and Its Implementation", published at pp. 281-287 of Evolutions In Computer Communications, Kyoto Sep. 26-29,1978, International Conference On Compuer Communication, Toyko, Japan, vol. CONE Sep. 4, 1978.
An articled by K. Krechmer at pp. 63, 64 and 66 of Data Communications, McGraw Hill, NY, vol.23, no. 2 (Jan. 21, 1994), entitled V.34 Modems: Off to a Fast Start.
* cited by examiner