(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,033,390 B2
Johnson et al. (45) Date of Patent: *Apr. 25,2006
(54) PROSTHETIC HEART VALVE SYSTEM
(75) Inventors: Keith M. Johnson, Champlin, MN (US); Jack D. Lemmon, St. Louis Park, MN (US); Joseph C. Morrow, Eden Prairie, MN (US); Timothy R. Ryan, Shorewood, MN (US)
(73) Assignee: Medtronic, Inc., Minneapolis, MN (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/336,622
(22) Filed: Jan. 2, 2003
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2004/0024451 Al Feb. 5, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/345,297, filed on Jan. 2, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.
A61F 2/24 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 623/2.11
Field of Classification Search 623/2.1 2.19
See application file for complete search history.
A prosthetic heart valve system including a prosthetic heart valve and a deflection device. The deflection device includes a line and a connector assembly including a tensioning component. The line interconnects and passes through free ends of stent posts associated with the heart valve, and is further connected to the tensioning component. The tensioning component is transitionable to a tensioning state in which the line is tensioned to inwardly deflect the stent posts. In this regard, the tensioning component is selflocking relative to the line in the tensioning state, and an entirety of the line extending distal the tensioning device does not extend beyond a stent portion of the heart valve opposite the stent posts. In a preferred embodiment, a holder body is further included, coupled to the heart valve apart from the deflection device.
14 Claims, 21 Drawing Sheets