(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,634,924 Bi
Ono et al. (45) Date of Patent: Oct. 21,2003
(54) POLISHING APPARATUS
(75) Inventors: Koji Ono, Kanagawa-ken (JP); Shozo Oguri, Kanagawa-ken (JP); Kenichi Sasabe, Tokyo (JP); Masato Kurita, Kanagawa-ken (JP); Yasuhisa Kqjima, Kanagawa-ken (JP); Tadanori Egawa, Kanagawa-ken (JP); Kenichi Shigeta, Kanagawa-ken (JP)
(73) Assignees: Ebara Corporation, Tokyo (JP);
Kabushiki Kaisha Toshiba,
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 14 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/669,883
(22) Filed: Sep. 27, 2000
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Sep. 28, 1999 (JP) 11-274259
(51) Int. CI.7 B24B 49/00
(52) U.S. CI 451/5; 451/8; 451/41;
(58) Field of Search 451/5, 8, 9, 10,
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
3,137,587 A * 6/1964 Wieder et al.
5,447,890 A * 9/1995 Kato et al 437/249
5,733,171 A * 3/1998 Allen et al 451/5
5,823,853 A 10/1998 Bartels et al.
5,838,447 A 11/1998 Hiyama et al.
5,872,633 A 2/1999 Holzapfel et al.
5,897,424 A * 4/1999 Evans et al 451/41
5,948,205 A * 9/1999 Kodera et al 451/287
6,076,256 A * 6/2000 Drake et al 29/825
6,241,578 Bl * 6/2001 Togawa et al 451/5
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—M. Rachuba
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—-Wenderoth, Lind & Ponack L.L.P.
Disclosed is a polishing apparatus that comprises a polishing tool, a substrate holding member, a measuring device to measure a drive current ol a drive unit while the drive unit drives at least one ol the polishing tool and the substrate holding member, and a lailure detection unit to detect either jumping ol the substrate from the substrate member or breakage ol the substrate. While a substrate is held by a substrate holding member and pressed against the polishing tool during a polishing operation, the lailure detection unit will detect jumping ol the substrate from the substrate holding member or breakage ol the substrate based on a comparison ol the value ol the drive current with a threshold value, or a comparison ol a waveform pattern ol the drive current with a predetermined waveform pattern.
12 Claims, 12 Drawing Sheets