« PreviousContinue »
United States Patent
(io) Patent No.: (45) Date of Patent:
US 7,778,313 B2 *Aug. 17, 2010
(54) PHY CONTROL MODULE FOR A
MULTI-PAIR GIGABIT TRANSCEIVER
(75) Inventor: Oscar E. Agazzi, Irvine, CA (US)
(73) Assignee: Broadcom Corporation
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl.No.: 12/259,191
(22) Filed: Oct. 27, 2008
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2009/0052509 Al Feb. 26, 2009
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 11/175,715, filed on Jul. 6, 2005, now Pat. No. 7,443,910, which is a continuation of application No. 09/557,274, filed on Apr. 24, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,928,106, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 09/390,856, filed on Sep. 3, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,289,047, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 09/143,476, filed on Aug. 28, 1998, now Pat. No. 6,304,598, and a continuation-in-part of application No. 09/437,721, filed on Nov. 9, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,363,129.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/108,319, filed on Nov. 13, 1998, provisional application No. 60/130,616, filed on Apr. 22, 1999, provisional application No. 60/107,874, filed on Nov. 9, 1998, provisional application No. 60/103,648, filed on Nov. 16, 1998.
(52) U.S. CI 375/219; 370/463; 370/465
(58) Field of Classification Search 375/219;
370/463, 465; 709/234, 250 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
4,531,220 A 7/1985 Brie et al.
FOREIGN PATENT DOCUMENTS
WO 9809400 3/1998
Nicol et al, A Low-Power 128-Tap Digital Adaptive Equalizer for Broadband Modem, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 32, No. 11, Nov. 1997, pp. 1777-1789.
Primary Examiner—Jean B Corrielus
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—McAndrews, Held & Malloy,
A method for controlling operation of a multi-pair gigabit transceiver. The multi-pair gigabit transceiver comprises a Physical Layer Control module (PHY Control), a Physical Coding Sublayer module (PCS) and a Digital Signal Processing module (DSP). The PHY Control receives user-defined inputs from the Serial Management module and status signals from the DSP and the PCS and generates control signals, responsive to the user-defined inputs and the status signals, to the DSP and the PCS.
11 Claims, 46 Drawing Sheets
PCT/US00/11123, International Search Report dated May 9, 2000.
Physical Coding Sublayer (PCS), Physical Medium Attachment
(PMA) sublayer and baseband medium, type 1000BASE-T, pp. 147-
248; IEEE Std 802.3-2002, Section Three; CSMA/CD.
Introduction to 1000 MB/s baseband network, pp. 893-963, IEEE Std
802.3, 1998 Edition, CSMA/CD, XP-002145257.
Agazzi, et al., "Two-Phase Decimation and Jitter Compensation in
Full-Duplex Data Transceivers", Proceedings of the International
Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), USA, New York,
IEEE, vol. CONF.25, May 10, 1992, pp. 1717-1720, XP000338277,
Hatamian, et al. "Design Considerations for Gigabit Ethernet 1000
base-T Twisted Pair Transceivers", Custom Integrated Circuits Con-
ference, May 11-14, 1998, pp. 335-342, XP002145256.
"Local and Metropolitan Area Networks, Specific Requirements,
Part 3: Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection
(CSMA/CD) Access Method and Physical Layer Specifications",
1998, LAN MAN Standards Committee of the IEEE Computer Soci-
ety, USA, XP002145257.
* cited by examiner