(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0258356 Al
Brice et al. (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 23,2004
(54) OPTICAL WAVEFORM RECOGNITION AND/OR GENERATION AND OPTICAL SWITCHING
(76) Inventors: Lawrence D. Brice, Eugene, OR (US);
Christoph M. Greiner, Eugene, OR
(US); Thomas W. Mossberg, Eugene,
OR (US); Dmitri Iazikov, Springfield,
DAVID S ALAVI
3762 WEST 11TH AVENUE
EUGENE, OR 97402 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/857,987
(22) Filed: May 29, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part ol application No. 10/653,876, filed on Sep. 2, 2003, which is a continuation-in-part ol application No. 10/229,444, filed on Aug. 27,2002, now Pat. No. 6,678,429.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/315,302, filed on Aug. 27, 2001. Provisional application No. 60/370,182, filed on Apr. 4, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.7 G02B 6/34
(52) U.S. CI 385/37
A planar optical waveguide has sets ol diffractive elements, each routing between input and output optical ports diffracted portions of an input optical signal. The diffractive elements are arranged so that the impulse response function of the diffractive element set comprises a reference temporal waveform or its time-reverse.
A planar optical waveguide has NxM sets of diffractive elements, each routing between corresponding input and output optical ports corresponding diffracted portions of an input optical signal. The NxM diffractive element sets, NxM input optical ports, and N lxM optical switches enable routing of an input optical signal any of the N input optical sources to any of the M output optical ports based on the operational state of the corresponding lxM optical switch.