(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,538,701 Bi
Yuen (45) Date of Patent: Mar. 25,2003
(54) SIMULATED PIP WINDOW IN EPG
(75) Inventor: Henry C. Yuen, Pasadena, CA (US)
(73) Assignee: Gemstar Development Corporation,
Pasadena, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/251,366
(22) Filed: Feb. 17, 1999
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/074,912, filed on Feb. 17, 1998.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04N 5/445; H04N 9/74
(52) U.S. CI 348/564; 725/48; 725/49;
(58) Field of Search 725/48, 49; 348/565,
348/584, 600, 598, 581
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,528,304 A * 6/1996 Cherrick et al 348/565
A first signal representing a reduced size video program is transmitted from a central location to a plurality ol user terminals in a television signal. A second signal representative ol an EPG is generated at one ol the user terminals. The first and second signals are linearly combined and applied to a display monitor to display the reduced size video program and the EPG on the screen ol the monitor simultaneously in a PIG format. In one embodiment a plurality ol reduced size video programs are transmitted in the television signal and one ol them is selected lor display in a PIG format by marking the program listing in the EPG corresponding to the selected reduced size video program with a cursor.
18 Claims, 3 Drawing Sheets