(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
CHEN et al.
(54) ENHANCED COPPER GROWTH WITH
ULTRATHIN BARRIER LAYER FOR HIGH
(76) Inventors: LING CHEN, Sunnyvale, CA (US);
Hua Chung, San Jose, CA (US); Barry
L. Chin, Saratoga, CA (US); Hong
Zhang, Fremont, CA (US)
Law Office Of Robert W Mulcahy
520 Sequoia Dr
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/470,922
(22) Filed: Sep. 7, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/199,415, filed on Jul. 18, 2002.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/346,086, filed on Oct. 26, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.
C23C 16/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 427/248.1; 427/532; 427/569
A method for depositing a refractory metal nitride barrier layer having a thickness of about 20 angstroms or less is provided. In one aspect, the refractory metal nitride layer is formed by introducing a pulse of a metal-containing compound followed by a pulse of a nitrogen-containing compound. The refractory metal nitride barrier layer provides adequate barrier properties and allows the grain growth of the first metal layer to continue across the barrier layer into the second metal layer thereby enhancing the electrical performance of the interconnect.