(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,875,942 B2
Corteseetal. (45) Date of Patent: Jan. 25,2011
(54) ELECTRONIC DEVICE INCLUDING MEMS DEVICES AND HOLED SUBSTRATES, IN PARTICULAR OF THE LGA OR BGA TYPE
(75) Inventors: Mario Cortese, Milan (IT); Mark Anthony Azzopardi, Gudja (MT); Edward Myers, Marsaxlokk (MT); Chantal Combi, Oggiono (IT); Lorenzo Baldo, Bareggio (IT)
(73) Assignees: STMicroelectronics, S.r.l., Agrate Brianza (IT); STMicroelectronics (Malta) Ltd., Kirkop (MT)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 247 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 12/006,819
(22) Filed: Jan. 4, 2008
(65) Prior Publication Data
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
6,624,003 Bl * 9/2003 Rice 438/106
2001/0007733 Al 7/2001 Matsuyama et al.
2002/0054422 Al * 5/2002 Carretal 359/291
2003/0059976 Al 3/2003 Nathan etal.
2005/0120553 Al* 6/2005 Brown etal 29/884
2005/0263841 Al * 12/2005 Fincato 257/433
2006/0086899 Al 4/2006 Chao et al.
2006/0128058 Al * 6/2006 Dungan et al 438/106
2006/0148137 Al* 7/2006 Hartzell et al 438/149
2008/0164543 Al 7/2008 Ziglioli et al.
FOREIGN PATENT DOCUMENTS
EP 1 775 259 Al 10/2005
EP 1945561 A2 7/2008
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—Bradley K Smith
Assistant Examiner—Jami M Valentine
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Lisa K. Jorgenson; Kevin D.
Jablonski; Graybeal Jackson LLP
An electronic device includes a substrate provided with a passing opening and a MEMS device including an active surface wherein a portion of the MEMS device is integrated sensitive to chemical/physical variations of a fluid. The active surface of the MEMS device faces the substrate and is spaced therefrom, the sensitive portion being aligned to the opening. A protective package incorporates at least partially the MEMS device and the substrate, leaving at least the sensitive portion of the MEMS device, and the opening of the substrate exposed. A barrier element is positioned in an area which surrounds the sensitive portion to realize a protection structure for the MEMS device, so that the sensitive portion is free.
45 Claims, 9 Drawing Sheets