(54) METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR
IMPROVED EFFICIENCY IN
TRANSMISSION OF FINE GRANULAR
SCALABLE SELECTIVE ENHANCED
(75) Inventors: Mihaela Van Der Schaar, Ossining,
NY (US); Hayder Radha, East
Lansing, MI (US)
(73) Assignee: Koninklijke Philips Electronis N.V.,
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 437 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/887,747
(22) Filed: Jun. 21, 2001
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2002/0006161 Al Jan. 17, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 09/347,882, filed on Jul. 6, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,263,022.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/217,827, filed on Jul. 12, 2000.
(51) Int. CI.
H04N 7/12 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 375/240.26; 375/240.28
(58) Field of Classification Search 375/
240.01-240.29; H04N 7/12 See application file for complete search history.
Improved efficiency in transmission of FGS encoded video data is achieved by reducing the transmission of overhead information items necessary to decode the received video data. After establishing an initial or first set of criteria for selectively enhancing areas within an image, each subsequent transmission frame includes an indicator that informs a receiving system to decode the current frame using the previously established criteria. The initial criteria include shift factor values specifying selectively enhanced areas of an image; position, displacement vector, size and enhancement factor for at least one area of interest with in an image; and known fixed values contained at both the transmitting and receiving systems.
40 Claims, 11 Drawing Sheets