(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,133,117 B2
Best et al. (45) Date of Patent: *Nov. 7,2006
(54) DUAL SIDED LITHOGRAPHIC SUBSTRATE IMAGING
(75) Inventors: Keith Frank Best, Prunedale, CA (US);
Joseph J. Consolini, Costa Mesa, CA
(US); Shyam Shinde, Fremont, CA
(73) Assignee: ASML Netherlands B.V., Veldhoven
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this
patent is extended or adjusted under 35
U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal dis-
(21) Appl. No.: 10/995,309
(22) Filed: Nov. 24, 2004
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2005/0073669 Al Apr. 7, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/738,990, filed on Dec. 19, 2003, now Pat. No. 6,844,244.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Dec. 20, 2002 (EP) 02258834
A device manufacturing method capable of imaging structures on both sides of a substrate, is presented herein. One embodiment of the present invention comprises a device manufacturing method that etches reversed alignment markers on a first side of a substrate to a depth of 10 urn, the substrate is flipped over, and bonded to a carrier wafer and then lapped or ground to a thickness of 10 \\m to reveal the reversed alignment markers as normal alignment markers. The reversed alignment markers may comprise normal alignment patterns overlaid with mirror imaged alignment patterns.
18 Claims, 3 Drawing Sheets