(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (i0) Pub. No.: US 2007/0197291 Al
Shimizu et al. (43) Pub. Date: Aug. 23,2007
(54) EXTERNAL INTERFACES FOR A 3D GRAPHICS SYSTEM
(76) Inventors: Dan Shimizu, Palo Alto, CA (US);
Genyo Takeda, Kyoto (JP); Ko Shiota,
Kyoto (JP); Munehito Oira, Kyoto
(JP); Kazuo Koshima, Kyoto (JP);
Satoshi Nishiumi, Kyoto (JP)
NIXON & VANDERHYE, PC
901 NORTH GLEBE ROAD, 11TH FLOOR
ARLINGTON, VA 22203 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/598,231
(22) Filed: Nov. 13, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/600,585, filed on Jun. 23, 2003, now Pat. No. 7,134,960, which is a continuation of application No. 09/723,335, filed on Nov. 28, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,609,977.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/226,884, filed on Aug. 23, 2000.
(51) Int. CI.
A63F 13/08 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 463/36
An advantageous set of external interfaces for home video game platform provide modularity and expandability while maintaining and preserving the proprietary nature of the platform. A disk drive interface provides flexible communications with an internal disk drive. Various serial bus interfaces provide expandability and interconnectability with a variety of internal and external devices including, for example, flash memory, broadband adapters, modems, and various other devices. A 4-port game controller interface provides serial interconnectability with handheld game controllers and various other input/output device. Power supply, digital and analog audio/video connections, and parallel memory expansion connections are also provided.