(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,214,237 B2
Don Michael et al. (45) Date of Patent: *May 8,2007
(54) VASCULAR FILTER WITH IMPROVED STRENGTH AND FLEXIBILITY
(76) Inventors: T. Anthony Don Michael, 4109 Sill
PI, Bakersfield, CA (US) 93306; Peter
Besselink, Gronausestraat 1220,
Enschede (NL) 7534 AT
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this
patent is extended or adjusted under 35
U.S.C. 154(b) by 258 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal dis-
4,619,246 A 10/1986 Molgaard-Nielsen et al.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/304,067
Prior Publication Data
US 2003/0153943 Al Aug. 14, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 09/803,641, filed on Mar. 12, 2001, now Pat. No. 6,485,502.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/412,071, filed on Sep. 19, 2002, provisional application No. 60/417,408, filed on Oct. 9, 2002.
A medical device, such as a vascular filter, composed of: a reinforced membrane unit composed of: a thin filter membrane; and fibers of reinforcement material embedded in the membrane to strengthen the filter and securely attach the fibers to the membrane.
A method of fabricating the filter by the steps of: providing a mold that can be melted, dissolved, or deformed without damaging membrane material; covering the mold with an intermediate material that is easily separated from the membrane material; covering the intermediate material with the membrane material; placing the fibers in contact with the membrane material that covers the intermediate material; covering the fibers with additional membrane material to form the membrane with embedded fibers; removing the mold by melting, dissolving, or deforming the mold; and removing the intermediate material from the membrane.
5 Claims, 15 Drawing Sheets