(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,892,205 Bi
Colrain et al. (45) Date of Patent: May 10,2005
(54) SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR PRECOMPILING A SOURCE CURSOR INTO A TARGET LIBRARY CACHE
(75) Inventors: Carol L. Colrain, Redwood Shores,
CA (US); Namit Jain, Foster City, CA
(US); Juan R. Loaiza, Redwood City,
(73) Assignee: Oracle International Corporation,
Redwood Shores, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 556 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/086,842
(22) Filed: Feb. 28, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/272,386, filed on Feb. 28, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 17/00
(52) U.S. CI 707/100; 707/4; 707/202
(58) Field of Search 707/1-5, 8-10,
707/100-104.1, 200-203, 217-219; 714/1, 2, 15; 715/700, 733, 853
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A system and method for enabling a second database instance to more quickly process a request to execute a database statement that has previously been executed by a first database instance is described. In one embodiment, the method involves sending the database statement from the first database instance to the second database instance, and generating by the second database instance one or more structures needed to prepare the statement for execution, such as a parse tree and an execution plan for the statement. II at some point in the luture, the second database instance receives a request to execute the same statement, the above structures can be used for execution, thereby eliminating the need for one or more potentially time-consuming operations, such as generation ol a parse tree or execution plan for the statement.
24 Claims, 11 Drawing Sheets