(54) TAMPON ESPECIALLY FOR FEMININE
HYGIENE AND A PROCESS AND
APPARATUS FOR PRODUCING THIS
(76) Inventors: Axel Friese, 5630 Wemelskirschen,
Durholzen (DE) 53; Stefan Simon,
Herzfelder Gasse 9, Wiener Neudorf
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 11/077,100
(22) Filed: Mar. 10, 2005
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2005/0251979 Al Nov. 17, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Division of application No. 09/968,453, filed on Oct. 1, 2001, now Pat. No. 6,889,409, which is a continuation of application No. 08/124,374, filed on Sep. 20, 1993, now abandoned, which is a continuation of application No. 07/929,844, filed on Aug. 13, 1992, now abandoned, which is a continuation of application No. 07/799,922, filed on Nov. 26, 1991, now abandoned, which is a continuation of application No. 07/596,454, filed on Oct. 12, 1990, now abandoned.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Oct. 12, 1989 (DE) P3934153.4
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 28/118
(58) Field of Classification Search 28/118,
28/119, 120, 116, 123, 134, 135, 121, 125; 604/285, 286, 363, 378, 379, 380, 904, 383, 604/385.17, 315.18; 264/320, 319, 299,
See application file for complete search history.
A process for forming a tampon having a relatively high density, compressed core and a plurality of lower density longitudinal ribs is disclosed. The longitudinal ribs have a softer fiber structure and a coarser capillary structure and extend radially from the core. The process includes forming a fibrous tampon blank, radially pressing a circumferential surface of the blank over spaced apart longitudinally extending portions to form spaced apart ribs, exposing the longitudinal ribs to a radially applied second pressure to form a tampon having a relatively high density, compressed core and a plurality of lower density longitudinal ribs, extending therefrom. The longitudinal ribs are separated one from another by outwardly open longitudinal grooves, at least where they extend from the core, and they form a soft, essentially smoothly cylindrical outer surface of the tampon.
4 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets