(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2003/0100340 Al
Cupps et al. (43) Pub. Date: May 29,2003
(54) NOVEL PERSONAL ELECTRONICS DEVICE WITH THERMAL MANAGEMENT
(76) Inventors: Bryan T. Cupps, Capitola, CA (US);
Timothy J. Glass, Aptos, CA (US)
10121 Miller Ave, Suite 201
Cupertino, CA 95014 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/340,938
(22) Filed: Jan. 13, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 10/158,266, filed on May 30,2002, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 09/809,963, filed on Mar. 16,2001.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04B 17/00; H04M 1/00;
A novel personal electronic device includes a first (embedded) and second (non-embedded) processors including associated operating systems and functions. In one aspect, the first processor performs relatively limited functions, while the second processor performs relatively broader functions under control of the first processor. Often the second processor requires more power than the first processor and is selectively operated by the first processor to minimize overall power consumption. Protocols for functions to be performed by the second processor may be provided directly to the second processor and processed by the second processor. In another aspect, a display controller is designed to interface with both processors. In another aspect, the operating systems work with one another. In another aspect, the first processor employs a thermal control program. Advantages of the invention include a broad array of functions performed by a relatively small personal electronics device.