Google RamayanaSee the full experience
Google wanted to take on the giants and launch the Chrome browser in Asia. To bring to life the idea that "Chrome is not your traditional browser," we decided to show Chrome's capabilities through a traditional story that resonates with Asians: the epic tale of Ramayana. We re-told the popular epic talk through an interactive Chrome Experiment, integrating Chrome features and Google services like Chat, Products, Weather and Maps. The experience incorporated WebGL and HTML5 to show that Chrome is capable of not just speed - but also security and stability.
The Building Blocks
- To SHOW instead of TELL people that Chrome is better than your traditional browser.
- To tell stories THROUGH technology, not ABOUT technology, in such a way that people feel an emotional connection to Chrome capabilities.
The Ramayana Chrome Experiment fulfills both criteria. The familiarity and popularity of Ramayana tugs at the heartstrings of our audience and piques people's curiosity of what we've done to retell the story with technology.
- Ogilvy Singapore ogilvy.com
- Steve Back, Chief Creative Officer
- Melvyn Lim, Executive Creative Officer
- Esther Tan, Senior Copywriter
- Xander Lee, Senior Art Director
- Timothy Su, Designer
- Pawan Bahuguna, Business Director
- Zayed Talib, Project Manager
- Stephanie Loo, Account Service
- Shulin Lu, Account Service
- Fantasy Interactive f-i.com
- 40+ team members working on this project
- 17K total cups of coffee drunk
- 0 monkeys were harmed
When we revealed the interactive story to Asia, the crowd went wild. Opening with about 170,000 visits in the first 2 weeks, and various mentions from local blogs and news articles. The experience went on to make waves in the rest of the world, even picking up a FWA Site of the Month ribbon along the way, making Chrome a legend.