Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy viewport extents to another drawing or layout

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
autoMick
2456 Views, 4 Replies

Copy viewport extents to another drawing or layout

How can I determine the viewport extents within a layout?

I want to either copy these extents (or at least one corner to another layout

Thanks

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jporter
in reply to: autoMick

Maybe I'm not understanding the question correctly so please correct me if i'm wrong, but when you create a new viewport the software should automatically perform a zoom extents of what's in model space.  So, if you have some object drawn a thousand miles from your project be aware that it will also attempt to show you that object.  

If you're looking to copy the settings of a current viewport then you can do one of several things. . .

• simply copy the viewport (assuming you need the copy in the same layout).
  • clipboard copy the viewport and paste it (assuming you need the copy in a different layout)
  • copy the layout (thus you'll get a copy of the viewport and titleblock)
  • use Design Center to copy the layout from one drawing to another (assuming the copied viewport needs to be in another drawing)

Hope this helps, 

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 3 of 5
AllenJessup

I think @jporter hit the major points. The only other methods I can think of is setting a view in one viewport and restoring it in another (if your in the same drawing). You could also create a polyline from the viewport, use the CHSPACE command to move it to modelspace, clipboard copy it to another drawing.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
autoMick
in reply to: jporter

@jporter Jason, thanks for the detailed reply of the options - much appreciated.

@AllenJessup that works too. I didn't know about that command. It actually solves another issue I had.

thanks both for your help

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 5 of 5
jporter

Glad to help!

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report